Copywriter and Content Specialist
Who You Are
If you are passionate about writing ad copy that converts, and creating engaging content, then you are in the right place. The perfect fit for this position is someone that is results-oriented, has a high charging personality and enjoys building an influenceable brand. You will have a major impact on the “voice” of the brand and the amazing content generated for our loyal customers. You will grow and develop new skills and have adventures you've likely never had before. The sky is the limit for the right person.
Who We Are
Survival Frog is a leader in outdoor and survival gear sold online. We’re a small business with fewer than 10 employees where we foster a fun, yet challenging work environment. If you are not highly motivated to dig in and learn how an e-commerce company operates, then this job isn’t for you. We have big plans for the future, so get ready for a fun ride.
Our culture is based around learning & growing, and we take 100% responsibility for our work and results. We are highly focused, efficient, and crystal clear on our top priorities. We have the courage to say, ‘I don't know’, the motivation to learn fast, and the willingness to make mistakes along the way, and learn from them. We clear the air quickly and don’t put up with drama.
Survival Frog is a virtual company – we have an office but choose to work remotely most of the time. There is daily communication (Slack/Trello/Phone) and we have weekly or monthly meetings in person. Other in person events include annual retreats, camping trips and other fun activities. This is a full-time position, although we give flexibility in how you hit your 40 hours (including 4-day work weeks).
Survival Frog prides itself on creating happy customers (very, very happy) which can be seen from our Google reviews, Amazon reviews and on-site product reviews. We are fanatics about creating an Amazing Buying Experience for our customers. We do fun and slightly weird things to get the attention of our existing customers, so they tell their friends.
If you like the outdoors, hiking, camping, or have a little bit of prepper in you, then you'll love our products at SurvivalFrog.com.
Our Core Values Are: Proactive - All In - Balanced Life.
How we live to our Core Values:
STAY – We stay focused on top priorities and avoid shiny distractions - GRSD
UNITY – Team & growth focused. We wear multiple hats when there is a need to support the team.
RESPECT – No brilliant jerks. We are open, honest, avoid drama, clear the air quickly. We are highly communicative and believe this ensures alignment and connection.
VULNERABLE – We strive to be vulnerable, authentic and hold each other accountable, starting with self.
INNOVATIVE – We are innovative through our tech focus, our automations, and IDS’ing issues.
VALUE – We add value through our networking, giving back & being engaged with our communities.
ABE – We strive to give our customers an AMAZING BUYING EXPERIENCE. We always want to WOW them!
LEARNING - We are continuous learners. We are committed to growing and stretching into new definitions of ourselves and our capabilities. We learn new skills to share with each other and our networks.
FAIL FORWARD – Mistakes and failures are okay if we learn from them & optimize for a better way moving forward.
RESOURCEFUL – We dig in, research, use our brains, then bring to the team. No micromanagement.
OPERATING SYSTEM – We are unified as a team and use the EOS operating system to manage company growth.
GO OUTSIDE – We love the outdoors and we each have a little bit of prepper in us!
Why This Role Matters
The company was founded over 14 years ago, and while Survival Frog is an established brand it is changing rapidly. The Copywriter and Content Specialist will have a major impact on the growth of the company over the next several years as we experience rapid growth and widespread brand awareness.
The 3 keys to success in this role
- Move fast, be efficient, and product a lot of content. Project management skills are critical.
- Optimizing for higher conversions, and more engaging content through split testing. The data shows us the way, so you should love excel and be curious in how we can optimize.
- Be a prepper and know the industry well. We need an expert who brings ideas and resources to help the company expand its content.
- Write great sales copy that converts. This is done primarily through email ad copy and product sales pages, which include long form direct response, e-com pages, and Amazon listings. Ongoing split testing and conversion rate optimization is an important part of the role. Simply “thinking” something is good and having data to support it are completely different things.
- Write engaging content that adds value to our customer’s lives. Easy to use checklists, and blog content articles that get shared is how we can spread our message to new customers. Don’t worry we do a massive amount of paid online marketing as well.
- Help manage the creation of other content including photography, video, images and the overall design and implementation of successful engagement campaigns. Some of this can be delegated out to contractors but the overall execution of the content campaigns will be your responsibility.
- Maintain image library and hold true to the brand standards and unified messaging.
- Manage content and product listing descriptions on 3rd party platforms such as Amazon and Walmart.
- Strong references and copywriting examples that show experience in the survival/outdoor industry.
- 3+ years’ experience in both writing ad copy and content creation.
- Experience with direct response marketing including split testing and CRO.
- Must be tech savvy and embrace new software and systems.
- Proficient with excel and experience with data analysis.
- Experience with photo and video editing (some of this may be delegated, but strong knowledge of basics is required.
- Attention to detail and few mistakes or typos.
- Ability to work remotely without interruptions, from a quiet place, with high-speed internet.
- Ability to work with little supervision BUT ask for help when needed.
- Organized, strong follow through and ability to follow/create systems.
- Attend a 3-day team retreat in Denver each year.
Compensation is $25-$35 per hour depending on experience. Plus, quarterly bonuses and the potential of profit sharing after a few years.
- Computer and equipment provided by Survival Frog
- Health insurance (1/2 paid after 60 days, then 100% after 1 year)
- Paid holidays off
- Unlimited PTO (just make sure you have things covered)
- Semi flexible work schedules (4x10 hour weeks or 5x8 hours)
- Educational programs to advance your career
- Matching charitable donations
- Free products, in exchange for testing/feedback
- Product discounts (buy any of our gear at company wholesale cost)
- 401k program
This role can grow in many directions. It all depends on your current skill set, the skill set you want to develop, and where your passion is. As the company continues to grow, future positions will open up and promotions will be available to top producers.
We offer on a regular basis:
- Reviews which include target Metrics/KPIs to measure performance.
- Coaching, courses, and other resources paid by company.
- Industry networking, events, and mastermind groups.
If you want to learn more, please follow the steps and apply HERE